View Single Post
Old 08-17-22, 01:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
I'm assuming the barrel adjuster would only be used for more micro adjustments ??
turning the barrel adjuster both ways had no impact and this could be a result of it not being initialized correctly
Bingo , hadn't turned the barrel adjuster enough , few more turns counter clockwise and now the pull is short and pretty much the same front and back - and point well taken about turning it all the way in when the cable is pulled and anchored ( I call that a reset or initialization) - thanks again !!
The barrel adjuster for the rear derailleur may be primarily micro adjustments. Half a turn? Although it may be get it close, then go to micro adjustments.

The barrel adjuster on the brakes is far more of a macro adjustment thing. Make it longer or shorter? Often quite a few turns.

I like to screw the barrel adjuster in quite a bit (but not all the way bottomed out) when I start with new brake pads, and do the macro adjustment with the cable pinch bolt. Then as the pads wear, slowly screw it back out to compensate for the pads becoming further away from the rims.