Old 02-26-21, 04:37 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Thanks for the CAD commentary.

I am interestingly stuck in the dark ages.
I have a CAD package at work that has an upgrade path, big big dollars now.

I admit I am spoiled by how easy it is to use and how well acquainted I am with it, I can probably draw faster on screen than I can even layout a paper drawing. Way way back that was my test. Solid modeling is the leader, save for surface development- my history goes way back, GM was the leader at one time in mapping out highlight control.
something they have lost if you look at the New Corvette... all the car companies save Ferrari are out of control surface wise, but I digress.
( if one wants to see a disaster on a new car surface, look at the Mazda CX30... the flanks between the wheel wells ... who bought off on that!)
You are welcome for the CAD commentary!

You are also talking to a Transportation Design major. Art Center College of Design, class of 2010 (summer, in this case). Believe me, they teach us things in school, and then I see the wrong things done in 'industry.' Maddening! I've always been one to work towards clean and elegant shapes, with proportion guiding the way. Proportion covers many sins, as we know, because the "basics" are at least done correctly. Mazda has a great design language, but the CX-30 is a bit of a troubled mix of aesthetics. Yeah, those flanks' surfacing is pretty out there, though making it was likely super easy in CAD. Mazda has applied that flank surfacing much better in the new 3 sedan & hatch, as well as in the concept car that introduced this new generation of form language. The current 6 has looked great from the start, and I considered it a year ago when I was looking at a new-to-me vehicle for the next 10-15 years. There was a structural roof cross brace at the B pillar just behind my head that I would graze (6'5" problems) as well as a power seat motor that turned to gravel in just a few years (baffling). Touring with the 6-speed manual and 19" wheels was the ticket. It unfortunately was quite loud inside--no quieter on the highway than my former Camaro Z28 (road and wind noise here, not exhaust!). That sealed its fate.

I think Volvo has been smashing it out of the park with its design lately. All of those, especially the sedans and wagons, will look fantastic decades from now. GM ruled the roost back in the '60s and '70s, design-wise (likely '50s as well, but apart from the tri-fives I've never investigated further). The second generation Camaro, pre-facelift, are one of my favorites. Chrysler Corp's "fuselage styling" is another hit for me. Those '69 Imperials just looked the business. I love old land yachts. Chrysler's earlier "Forward Look" of the mid-late '50s resulted in gorgeous cars. I'd love to own a 300 from that era. Ferrari has done well lately, though it seems to be more case-by-case. Lamborghinis are more of that. Beauty in the Bonkers. Ferrari's Roma is gorgeous--I even "built" one out, colors and all. The new Corvette is striking, but there are indeed incongruities. It could use a lot less fuss, especially in the back end. A mid-engine road weapon from America for $60k(ish)? That's pretty crazy.

Two years into the 2010+ generation of the Mustang, I did this sketch for fun. Evolutionary step in design. Clean, pure, sleek, confident. Plus the "sitting in snow" and big wheels designer stuff to "lower" the car and drive home the essence of the sketch (so that it would have a chance to be further developed into reality).
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: