View Single Post
Old 09-17-22, 10:12 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 3,771 Times in 1,848 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
This is why I no longer purchase bikes unless they’re keepers or unless I know how much I can make on a flip.

Especially with bikes that are rare or unique, the value is whatever a buyer is willing to pay. If you’re in California, then you’re in one of the hottest vintage mountain bike markets.

You have an example of what what the floor could be—$700–and you also know what isn’t selling ($2500). I would knock a few hundred off from the one that hasn’t moved and start there (if deep down you feel that’s what it’s worth).

If you’re involved with the local bicycle crowd you could spread the word via social media or word of mouth. Maybe you’ve got a local vintage mtb nut in your area who doesn’t shop eBay or internet ads.

e: Here’s an OfferUp ad for one that sold 5 years ago in Michigan for $450. Another sale that could be referenced.

Thanks for this, I had a feeling the "floor" was lower than $700.
"This is why I no longer purchase bikes unless they’re keepers or unless I know how much I can make on a flip." - Good advice, I have also given myself, but often fail to follow. That said, much like my philosophy on lending money, I only do what I could afford to walk away from with a smile on my face.