Old 07-11-21, 09:28 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
When I retired at 62 I had not been on a bike in decades. I purchased an ebike online (prodeco) and rode it for about a year. During that time, the ebike allowed me to get used to riding again without any issues of confidence, not wondering if I would get stuck somewhere. I sold the e-bike to another "returning" rider after I owned it for about a year and a half. Purchased my first Bike Friday folder. I have a couple now, and ridden non-motorized for 8 years. About 2 years ago I purchased a small e-assist system (called OneMotor) which only weighs 4.5 lbs and completely comes off the bike in less than 30 seconds. I use it now when there are hills on rides that I no longer can do without suffering knee pain later, or when the headwinds are really bad - it's basically my "no-excuse" attachment. Otherwise I still ride sans motor for exercise and shorter errands. I sold my car a few years ago and use my bike and Burley Travoy as a car. So - Yeah, an e-bike definitely helped me transition to a traditional bike, and now it keeps me riding to places my physical condition would limit but I still ride unmotored 80% of the time.