Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Even VO2 has conversion of type iib to type iia fibers. And is mostly type iia. Which is best bet for what you describe.

So, what you describe is not strength training. Especially since it's going to be longer than 15 seconds. Here's a handy chart.

Thanks for bringing this chart to our attention again. I have a question: I also do low cadence high effort training, though seated on my resistance rollers. I do intervals at from 90%-100% FTP, 2 intervals of 15'-25', rest between 1/2 interval length. My HR and breathing are below AeT at that effort. What zone am I in? BTW, it works for me. Does not increase my 1RM with weights, but does steadily increase how long I can do them, and my muscular endurance on long climbs. So it does change something. I could also do them at 120% FTP though for a shorter duration and with a higher metabolic cost, i.e. training load? I'm pretty sure that the TSS I get from these is not a good measure of training stress. I don't need to rest the day before or after at my current effort. I've done them once a week for 2 months in the early spring, and only then, for many years.

Oh and for post 16. Never had a knee problem, even on long backpacking descents in the mountains. Maybe because I do them? Doubt that though. Old bubbe-meise.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 02-02-21 at 04:52 PM.