Old 07-17-21, 06:57 PM
Bruce n Atlanta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano Altus A10 Upgrade Help - Cannondale H400

Hello,

My first post here...... I have a Cannondale H400 I purchased in 1993... yes really. And finally, I want to change out the drive hardware as it is really worn out.. shifting is a noisy mess... teeth look my uncle Bob's scary mouth. I never changed the chain or anything. Instead of just replacing each piece, I was hoping to upgrade the hardware... I never thought it was great to begin with. So..... I would like to upgrade the chain, rear and front derailleurs, rear cogset, and front chain rings. Regarding "upgrade".. I mean smoother more precision. If this is problematic, then does Shimano have a direct replacment? Again, I am confused.

What is on there now:
  • Rear/front derailleurs: Shimano Altus A10
  • Crankset: Shimano Altus A10, 30/40/50 teeth
  • Rear cogset: Shimano Hyperglide 7-speed, 13 - 30 teeth
  • Chain: Shimano Hyperglide
  • Shifters... seem ok to me so no need to replace.
Please help.... I have no idea where to begin and ensure whatever I pick will work. I stopped into a big-name store with a large bike maintenance section and the tech was really clueless on how to research this. He was helpful... but. So, I really did not know where to turn for help. I love the frame... the bike just fits me... I am 61 years old and use the bike for exercise and really do use all the gears, front and rear. Cannondale really did a good job laying out the ratios on this bike... so I would like to keep them if possible.

Note, if you go to BikePedia, make sure you select 1993... the bike was different over the years.

Bonus opinion: My friend is trying to get me to just buy a new ride.... I dunno, I really like this bike and it is perfect for me... just worn out parts.

Peace
Bruce in Atlanta

Last edited by Bruce n Atlanta; 07-17-21 at 07:11 PM.