Old 01-23-22, 01:21 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Well, in our area the traditional parking/bike lane thing always winds up with poor parking, trash cans, piles of leaves, and gross abuse of the bike lane. So if you don't buffer the bike lane for doors, or outright ban anything sitting in the bike lane ever.........it gets abused.

For the US two thoughts: Thought one thought for lower volume areas with currently bike lanes hurt by street parkers or abuse..... why not protect the bike lane by pushing one of the parking zones out towards the middle and make it a single bike lane that's bi-directional on the same side of the road and not double width, but maybe 150% width but you get the double width anywhere cars aren't parked as you get that 50% as door opening buffer but a wider lane? You guarantee the full double width predictably at some XX distance of parking allowed, then no parking allowed. So a bike rider can plan for oncoming.

Thought two, lots of urban/suburban places in the US funnel bike riders into unsafe situations simply because some of the neighborhood roads that are nicer to ride deadend and don't connect parts of town. Often, if looking at a google map, all you need is a single 100 yard long cut through from one major area to another. Sometimes on Strava heatmaps you even see already people risking trespass to cut thru walking their bike like that! I can think of many parts of my town like this. It would improve ride quality SOOO much so.

Thought 1 may be silly, just a personal thought. I will say, a very few roads here where the downhill gets chevrons and uphill a dedicated lane........the dedicated lane has a door/parking buffer. Which I really appreciate.