Old 06-08-22, 03:46 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Miche Cassette Experience

As the title says - anybody have any experience with a Miche cassette, relative to standard Shimano or SRAM options?

I'm hopefully getting my new wheels in a few weeks (Light Bicycle 45mm laced to DT240s!), and taking the Vision Team 30s off the bike. In the process, I'll need new brake rotors (6-bolt vs centerlock), and I'll want a new cassette. The old wheels have an HG800 11-34 mounted, and while it shifts perfectly, I've just never gotten along with the gear spacing. Given that I never use the 30 and 34T where I ride, I figured I could get a tighter ratio cassette. I have a SRAM 1170 11-28 on a different bike, and that gives me an 11-17 corncob. It shifts fine, but the slight problem is that I'd like to have slightly lower gearing if needed - currently, I climb short, steep grades in 34x27, and can bail out to 34x30 or even 34x34 if I really need to. I can run 34x28 on the SRAM, but there's nowhere to go from there.

So in my research, I came across Miche, and their Primato and Primato Light cassettes. Their 12-29 option includes a 12-17 corncob, and a slightly easier bottom gear than the SRAM. I almost never use the 11T, so that's fine, and getting a 26-29 as bottom two gears seems good to me.

Has anybody run a Miche, either the Primato or Primato Light, for a while? Pros or cons? The HG800 shifts flawlessly, and the PG1170 does as well, just want a similar level of performance (with a much preferred gear ratio).

Thanks!