View Single Post
Old 08-16-22, 06:36 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Get it all cleaned out and see how bad it is, if its all the way through then it may be time for a creative cutout, rust convertor, paint/seal, frame saver throughout and the sealed BB.
Originally Posted by daka
I own an un-galvanized boat trailer that is used in salt water so I am no stranger to rust. I don't think yours looks too serious. Rust has a much greater volume than the iron that created it so when you get that scale removed I think you will find you haven't lost that much of your bottom bracket after all. Even if it has perforated, remember that many high-end bike builders deliberately cut out material from that area so I wouldn't conclude that the BB is structurally compromised. Spraying some kind of anti-corrosion stuff (Frame Saver, Boeshield, etc.) inside the frame is probably a good idea. Sometimes the interior of old frames were treated with linseed oil when first built but that has probably long since dried up by now.
Thanks guys. I'm going to get it cleaned out and get some primer on there, and get frame saver in all the tubes.
Likes For Ged117: