View Single Post
Old 09-13-22, 05:08 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by rivers
Bikepacking style bags is the way to go. My first bikepacking trip was road based and we stayed at B&Bs.
Carbon bike with carbon seat post. Gearing was a bit high however. I also overpacked.

Now I use my gravel bike, venture off road, and do carry my camping kit. It also has much lower gearing. Still carbon though
Nice setups, both. When my wife and I were in California we ran into a group of guys on carbon road bikes, outfitted much like yours, riding from Portland all the way down to San Diego. There was also a guy that had joined up with them riding a Surly LHT fully loaded, and he apparently had a hard time keeping up. They pointed out that it's a lot more fun riding a road bike, just like it's more fun to ride down Highway One in a convertible Corvette than it is in an SUV. The roads there are generally very smooth and these guys didn't even have fat tires - they were running on 24 spoke wheels with skinny road bike tires.

I've only done solo fully-loaded touring, a long time ago on my '83 Trek 720. It's easy to see that if you take away the need for all the camping/sleeping/cooking stuff, and if you have access to laundry facilities every few days, it would be very possible to travel pretty light.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 09-13-22 at 05:18 AM.
Likes For Jeff Neese: