Old 09-19-22, 02:36 AM
SkinnyLad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Key features missing from all free bicycle apps?

I've been through a lot of bicycle tracking apps and they all seem to be missing the features I'd find most useful. The best one that I've tried is Cyclemeter. Although a very good app for what it does, the free version seems to lack relevant (for me) visual feedback during rides that tells me how I fare on a particular route (relative to previous rides). What I'd want is a very simple and lightweight tracker/recorder of routes that can show me in real time how many seconds or so I am from my average/max on a particular track AND some specific part of it. The ability to insert checkpoints and partition the track (segments, I think some paid apps call them) and follow up on their stats is missing from every free app that I've tried and this feature is THE point of a bicycle racing app in my mind, otherwise I can just use a stop watch and do the math myself as a post workout wind-down.

Everybody wants something different but I'm puzzled there isn't a free app with this focus. I happen to know a software developer who may be willing to create something simple for android but there could already be a perfect app out there on google play and I've missed it. Doesn't have to be bike specific. The criteria is:

- Free or ad-based with no unnecessary data collection or signups
- Ability to record tracks/routes and insert checkpoints (google maps not required, just show me the layout and where I stand)
- Simple UI with some saved stats cleverly designed for "race against time" rides

Everything else is really superfluous to the way I exercise. Maybe all of this is already in Cyclemeter but I can't find it. As I said, that would be an OK app if I could follow up different track segments and have a differently customized UI during rides. Is anybody else looking for something similar?