View Single Post
Old 12-15-22, 05:44 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,854 Times in 3,003 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I said I was done with this thread, but I'll see if I can explain it so you might understand it. The question is whether human powered cycling was sunsetting. Children who are less physically active are not developing the muscle tone of those more active-maybe just running and playing, or riding a non-motor assisted bike, something that develops muscle tone. Children which are more physically fit are more likely to mature as more physically fit adults. Physically fit adults who continue to exercise, would be more likely to ride a pedal powered bike vs a motorized assisted bike. If e-bikes continue to outpace pedal powered bike sales, eventually it could lead to pedal power sunsetting. I am not against e-bikes-many may use them for commuting, but most I see are not used for that. I tried-for a couple of years-to convince an 80 year old friend with a replaced knee and arthritic hip, to purchase an e-bike. He finally has. Another rider, a woman in her late 70's, is now considering an e-bike and I am assisting her with research on which one will work for her. Both were active when younger which has allowed them to keep pedaling as long as they have. Point-kids who are less active and don't develop good muscle tone as a kid may carry that into adulthood. Those who wish to ride a bike, but find it overly strenuous, may opt for a bike with assist. Not saying that the only reason for choosing an e-bike is lack of fitness, but it can be a contributing factor. Of course, commuting or injury may be another factor. Just saying that lack of fitness can be a factor, and seeing kids who mainly exercise by twisting the throttle on their electic bike or other vehicles causes me to be concerned about their fitness as they mature. If you grow up using assist instead of muscle power, I think the more likely it is to carry over, and could influence the adult's choice when shopping for a bike. Hope that clarifies it for you. If not, I give up. You seem to assume I am anti e-bike, when all I am trying to do is answer what could lead to pedal power to sunset. I choose to keep pedaling as long as I physically can, I'm not commuting, and enjoy riding for fitness and the social aspect. Getting up a steep hill on my own provides me with satisfaction and pride, not that I fly up them, and some I may walk, but that's my choice. Not saying everyone needs to go along with my choice--that's why it's called a choice. OK, I'm done for real, you either get it or you don't.
I think you are seriously over-estimating the effect of bicycles on a kid's physical development. I also think you are over-estimating the number of kids actually riding e-bikes. Most kids only get to ride relatively cheap manual bikes due to cost.

Those who choose to take up biking as a sport will continue to pedal for obvious reasons. Those choosing to ride e-bikes (particularly throttle operated rather than pedal assist) are a new breed who probably wouldn't be riding ordinary bikes anyway. They would probably be riding petrol powered scooters previously. It's no different to running as a sport. Is running going to disappear because of motorised segways? I don't think so.