View Single Post
Old 08-05-21, 05:02 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
Add me to the list - I had a total full thickness tear back in 2012. Tried PT before an MRI - PT won't help a total tear. At its worst, I couldn't raise my right arm high enough to adjust the radio while driving, let alone lift any weight above my head.

Surgery in 1Q 2013, no biking that year - the surgeon said something that stuck with me "You can ride your bike the rest of your life, this is only time that repair has to heal."

Definitely a big deal surgery - couple of weeks with my right arm strapped to my body, a month or so in a sling, 3 months of PT, then many limitations until 6 months and it wasn't really until a few year that it felt close to "normal." I have recovered full range of motion, but not full strength - he said repairs of partial tears are much easier, much more likely to get close to full strength back.

The surgeon I chose walked me thru the decision process, surgery or not - age (I was 55 at the time), activity (much), potential for PT to develop muscles around it (low for complete full thinckness tear) etc.

Within a year, it was a non-factor for cycling - other than a healthier fear of falling! I have slipped on ice and hit that arm, no damage.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably have the surgery again. If it had been a partial thickness tear, maybe not.