View Single Post
Old 08-09-13, 01:35 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
My tourer is a 1969 Magneet Sprint:

Derailleurs are the old, early 70's Sun Tour combination: V-GT and Compe-V front with the rachet handlebar shifters. Yeah, they're a little heavier than some of the suggestions already made as they're entirely steel. However, that rear is strong enough to pound tent pegs, and on a loaded touring bike weight doesn't mean ****, reliability is everything. The crank is a Stronglight 99 triple, which I really love. About the only thing I'd warn you against is the Weinmann centerpulls. They're ok, but you can do better under load.

You're going to find that there's a rather strong school of thought that nobody has ever made a better touring derailleur than Sun Tour. I have a difficult time disagreeing with that sentiment.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)