View Single Post
Old 07-26-21, 03:53 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I was hesitant to comment on this, because I'm uncertain that my suggestion will work. Ordinarily I would agree, but in this case the thing being removed is not a simple assembly like a bolt. It's not even a BB unit that is easily disassembled, although I've never gone at one of these with a hydraulic press. They must be assembled somehow in the manufacturing process, and my guess is that the axle and bearing assembly is pressed in from one side.

It's a relatively complicated thing to drill out. and the worst case scenario as a consequence of damaging the threads in the shell are either that it will need to be reamed out and rethreaded in the larger Italian size, or that the future user will need to resort to one of those threadless BB units, which actually work pretty well, even if they are an admission of some measure of failure.

But very much yes on the general avoidance of impact wrenching when working on bicycles. The only other situation I think it might be warranted (as a last ditch attempt to salvage an operation) is on seized freewheel bodies on aluminum hubs. I have one of those I've been back benching for a month now, hoping that heating, ATF/acetone, and time might get it off by normal destructive methods. But I think I'm at the point now where I'll dig out the air impact wrench, turn on the compressor, and sink or swim on that one. Very frustrating, because something like that usually comes off for me without that, and there's an excellent chance it will damage the hub.
Sorry but I need to clarify my recommendation. The intent is not to drill out or machine out the entire bearing. The intent is to drill or machine 4 spots or holes, 90 degrees apart, more if needed. These holes should be placed as close to the minor diameter of the bearing threads as possible and should be as deep as the threads of the bearing. Next we punch or collapse the bearing shell towards the center in each of these locations, this will provide an increased gap between the thread flanks and allow the bearing shell to rotate without damaging the bike frame. Its harder to explain than to do the task. Maybe taking it to a real machine shop and let them do the work could be the best option as these frames are expensive. Basically your drilling out the side wall of the bearing shell as close to the threads inside the bike frame as possible.

Last edited by N2deep; 07-26-21 at 03:58 PM.
Likes For N2deep: