Old 02-28-23, 11:35 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by sbarner
Upon careful inspection, I can say with a high degree of competence that your bike would meet the stringent qualifications at the Huffy Throw weigh-in. There would no doubt be some who might challenge it, claiming that the stem would cause the bike to exceed the "No more than two aluminum parts" rule, but be at ease, as it is acceptable to count the two extension levers as a single "part." You would receive an additional dispensation in that I am quite sure that the stem is original to the bike, and probably was called out as a feature in some marketing materials as everyone knows that an aluminum stem and drop handlebars makes it a "racer." Your description of the wobbly wheels and screechy brakes testifies that the bike is "as close to functional as the manufacturer intended," sealing the deal. This bike as pictured is perfect Huffy-chucking fodder.
You know, we've tried to talk about this. We've sat down and had the convo. It goes something like this:

me: You know, everyone thinks you are garbage, we have to change that perception

Le Grande: They do? Really? Whatever! I don't care!

me: but I have all these nice, lightweight components for you. It will help with image. You can be an ambassador!

Le Grande: But I'm beautiful the way I am! Yes, I'm heavy, slow, clunky, squeaky, squealy, and screechy, but I've accepted it! Why does nobody like me? Waaaaaaah! *sobs*

It just falls apart from there.

As such, the bike has resisted just about every possibility for upgrading - the BB size is wrong, the headset size is wrong, the dropouts are too thin, the headtube is too small, the brake mounting holes are too far away, the seattube is too little, etc etc. The bike is so much drama!

But we are making progress. I'm not giving up! So far therapy is working but we are taking it slow. The Le Grande would appreciate no more discrimination and judgement from any of you

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 02-28-23 at 06:53 PM.
Likes For AdventureManCO: