Old 08-10-08, 03:56 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by e0richt
I have tried to do some commuting this season, I have gone at least 2-3 times a week since the beginning of may... but I find that doing a commute is more difficult than just doing a recreational ride... My commute is around 3.5 miles (or 7 miles depending on which route I take...) but I find its harder to get up to speed and I breathe like a steam engine and I don't put in the miles like I would if I just did the recreational cycling...

so whats the problem? could it really be my backpack? (I am planning to ride my recreational area with it to see...) or can it be the car exhaust makes me work harder? Anyone else have this happen to them?

I may give up commuting for a bit and just do the recreational rides and see...
No problem.

If you really want to try commuting, that great. Just take a step back and think about the differences.

1) You're going to work.
2) Your route may be different, and you might not have as many options.
3) Is it dark outside?
4) You may feel that you have to do it, instead of just wanting to do it.
5) If you're carrying extra weight...
6) Traffic might me more challenging, since it's rush hour.

Overall, I chose commuting because I didn't have a lot of spare time to ride, and I figured, "Why not spend my time riding instead of sitting on a bus, or in a car?" But bike commuting is quite different from riding for recreation.

If you want to turn your commute into a more recreational ride, plan a back road home in the afternoon and take your sweet time.