Old 08-11-20, 07:43 PM
jimbossa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Weird that a bike shop can’t source an Italian thread BB in a timely fashion. That BB you linked is a UN26 which is bottom of the line. In your shoes I would splurge an extra $10 if you can to go with the UN55. They usually have them for around $25 shipped on Amazon. Good reliable BB.

As far as the problem you describe it sounds like the BB might have backed out on the drive side but that is an unusual problem if the BB has been in place for a long time. If it’s gonna happen, IME, it’s usually within the first 100 miles or so after an install. If it is otherwise working fine, I’d be at a loss to explain why it’s doing that without some kind of god awful noises coming out when you pedal.
Thanks. Good to know. I was unsure on the BB hierachy. I'll try and source a UN55 in the 70mm x 130mm but haven't had much luck yet. I was shocked too that most LBS in Manhattan did not have an Italian threaded square taper or couldn't order but my own search so far has proven difficult which i guess confirms their statements.

Not a god awful sound, but definitely a noticeable skipping sound as if the crank wasn't catching at each pedal-stroke. Definitely makes more sound during climbs. As you said, I installed the BB ages ago (back in 2009 in undergrad) and this is a relatively new issue.