Old 06-18-21, 03:11 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
100 mile update

I have 100 miles on the bike since I finished building it last weekend, and it has been great. The bike tracks straight as an arrow, is easy to ride no hands, but is very nimble. The CLB brakes have exceeded my expectations with good stopping power. They work great with the Dia-Compe aero levers. The wheels have done their job without issue. Our Durango roads consist of a lot of chip seal and are in fair condition. The rear wheel needed some touching up after the first couple of rides, but has been good since. These are lightweight wheels and I wouldn't use them on a daily basis. In my youth, they would have been my race wheels. The front steering geometry is aggressive and the top tube is short at 53cm for a 56cm frame center to top. I measure the frame angles with my digital gauge is 75.5 degrees for the head tube and 74 degrees for the seat tube. The frame was originally built for a woman, which likely explains why it is short. The good news is I prefer a 53 or 54 cm top tube. At 56cm center to top, the seat tube dimension is 2cm longer than I normally ride, but it gets the bars up a little higher, and makes the bike a little more comfortable. I'm a rider and collector, this build was a weight weenie experiment, and will not see a lot of miles. I'm more than pleased with how it looks and rides and it will become part of my normal bike rotation.

Likes For Andy Antipas: