canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
65 fairly leisurely miles this morning, and a beautiful day for it indeed. Set out looking for a 100km (62.2 miles) @ 17mph, ended up with 65 @ 18.5mph. Nothing but 3.5 water bottles for the ride. Average ride speed got killed when I got stuck behind a big group finishing their route, and didn't want to look like "that a-hole" by blowing by them. So I just sat about two bike lengths back of their group and slugged along at their 15-16mph for about 8 miles. If not for the rolling blockade, I would have finished the day like 19.2-19.3mph I'm sure. It was sorta relaxing, though.

As we got further and further up the street, pairs kept peeling off of the group, until the final handful of them were down to just over 13mph. You'd think all those shaved legs would make for some serious speed, but looking at the Strava Fly-bys, the group speed dropped dramatically once they hit about the 50 mile mark and the group started to shrink. They really blast down the SART in a group of 10+ riders, though.
I can't even remember the last time I could ride that fast. Okay, yes I can. It was 30 years ago. After a year back in the saddle I'm still a solid 12 mph loafer, no matter the bike or terrain. Occasionally I can cruise up to 15 mph for a few miles, before the asthma hits and I have to pull over for a minute. I can't even keep up with the 70+ y/o guys in my area for long.

On the plus side, the only looks you'll get from the casual loafcycling group I usually ride with is the "Wanna stop for beer?" look.

If you're ever in Texas feel free to blow by me. I might draft for awhile. A very short while before I get dropped like a rock.
Likes For canklecat: