View Single Post
Old 05-01-22, 06:49 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Valgan, Super Vitus 971

I spotted this while trawling Craigslist, and while I sure don’t need another project in my life it wasn’t far away and the price was hard to beat, so… Apparently very little info out there about this odd marque (this thread seems to be about it). Too small for me, and I was really just kind of interested in the parts, but… Super Vitus 971 ‘extra legere’ tubing (at least the main triangle and fork- I sort of assume if the fork is 971, the stays would be too, but who knows..), Mafac Competition brakes, SLJ mechs (sadly the RD is missing jockeys and inner half of the cage), Stronglight BB, headset, 93 crankset, Atom pedals, AVA stem & bars, Malliard 700 hubs (axle/innards and cogs missing from rear) with mis-matched 27” rims, nice alloy SLJ seatpost.

Paint is peeling and in unredeemable shape- there was a terrible flood in the region in ’06 and the guy I bought the bike from mentioned having lost his house in it. From the bits of dried mud here and there I suspect the bike spent some time in contaminated water. It seems like a light and good quality frame, so I think maybe worth trying to salvage. The few comments I’ve found from people who have had a Valgan say they are nice riding bikes. Chrome has (at least…) surface rust. Tearing it down to see what’s what, and what to do with it.

Likes For ehcoplex: