View Single Post
Old 05-03-22, 05:18 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Based on the freewheel (It is a Perfect/Pro Compe) not having any "metric" markings, I'm going to say that either the hub is English threaded or the freewheel has been mashed onto the hub and it's all completely ruined. Let's hope for the former!

But there's a way to be dead-sure:
Maillard 700 hubs that are English threaded should have a groove machined in the unthreaded portion inboard of the freewheel threads, like so:

Finally, if you are having a hard time with a freewheel remover on that Suntour body, I have had success with a very large pipe wrench. You can usually get it to grip in the divots where the pawls used to be. Then, brace the wheel on the floor, against a wall, and heave!
Ah, yes- the groove.... alas, none that I can see. It does seem likely that the FW might have been mashed on there and that is why there's only a portion of it still on the hub.... Well, when I get the tool I'll see if I can get it off anyway.