wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
A disc is a thin piece of metal that would need hundreds of thousands of pounds of compression force to deform. Disc brake manufacturers are free to build those calipers with all the compression they feel is necessary for a good feeling brake.

An aluminum rim is hollow and also serves the purpose of keeping the tire mounted and wheels rolling smoothly. In theory a system could be built that would destroy the rim. Or frame I suppose. I’ve heard anecdotal reports of Magura rim brakes denting rims but they certainly could be built crushier if we weren’t worried about keeping the bike rideable.

Carbon rims and mullet bikes are another huge advantage of discs. Keeping the brakes as brakes and rims as rims is smart.

In the early aughts, I was in a race where we caught the group ahead of us. On a descent. The peloton smelled like burning brakes. So many people, including me, wrecked out of that race due to hot rims popping tires. That’s not a concern for discs. Something to think about.
You're talking about the durability of steel disc rotor vs an aluminum rim, that is a different topic, and of course a steel disc will be more durable than an aluminum rim....The the further the brake caliper is located from the center of a disc the greater the leverage and stopping power.