Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
This is a problem of perceptions and psychology as much (or more) anything else.

In the UK especially, there's plenty of resentment about changes to the traffic codes, nor only related to bikes. So it's safe to assume some of that adds fuel to the cars v. bikes fires.

That said, I repeat my earlier statement that these issues arise from the sense of entitlement and focus on rights that's poisoning every aspect of modern (lack of) society.

Before cyclists grew in numbers and focused on rights, those few of us riding roads enjoyed a measure of detente with motorists. it wasn't quite entente but was workable, especially in the northeast where we had a long history of coping with each other.
I am entitled to use the road. At the same time I believe I have a duty to be cooperative.

‘Where a cyclist is encountered within a context that causes a driver to slow down or deviate, drivers’ estimation of the cyclist’s discourtesy was seen to increase, regardless of the cyclist’s actual behaviour,’ the study said.

A motorist is not entitled to drive through life without ever having to deviate or lift off the gas.

I'll happily accommodate motorists when I can, but I cannot give the motorists what they want if they expect to never have to go around me or brake.

We saw something interesting happen in South MS. When road cycling first started getting popular on the rural backroads, motorists were rude and inconsiderate at times. Over time, our riding group saw motorists get better. I suppose they sort of realized that having to slow or steer around us wasn't really all that big of a deal. Our group was very courteous on balance, so that may have had something to do with it.
Likes For Paul Barnard: