View Single Post
Old 01-19-21, 06:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,036 Times in 2,693 Posts
Originally Posted by rkntoy1234
Yup - found the Bike Direct site and the tire size lists a range so I thought I would ask people who actually have the bike. Also watched youtube videos and followed every link could find where info might be posted. Manufacturer sites are dubious at best when trying to figure out max tires sizes - nothing better than people who actually have the bike. And I have bought from BikeDirect before - which is also why I am asking as the tires size range they quoted were incorrect. So...thanks for the help.

Thread is less than a year old. I also followed up with other spots that had reviews. And this question was also asked farther back up in the thread (obviously before it went "dormant") and nobody answered.

If you don't want to answer that is fine. I have helped out people on a number of other forums that need info I have regardless of whether or not they were a first time poster. If you don't want first time posters to ask questions maybe stop allowing people to sign up. You sure make me want to stick around.
It isn't that I didn't want to answer it is that the answer is already on their own product website. Most manufacturers know what tires will fit on their bikes you can sometimes go larger but there are so many variations in tires and rims and such that it is impossible to list all the tires and sizing the bike might fit. Also cramming a tire that barely fits and could cause damage to a bike doesn't make sense.

I get the rest of what you are saying (the thread was technically still dormant yes newer but dormant which is not an insult to anyone) but it did get answered in the top link which links directly to the bike:"Features "WTF: Wide Tires Fit" clearance for up to 42c (front)/ 29x1.7-2.1 tires (back)* (*not guaranteed to fit all tires, please ensure proper clearance)" That last note is perfect. As nobody can predict tires and rims and what will or will not fit and even someone who has it can say well I crammed a CST cheapodo tire in it and it is 700x43 but unless you are using the same exact set up and there aren't major variations in the rim and tire construction (which can happen with cheaper production) it could be slightly different but I cannot imagine that BD is going to be so wildly off.

What size tires are you looking to fit because maybe this bike isn't the right one? If you want a mountain bike this is a pretty rad option: https://ninerbikes.com/products/air-9 (they do a cheaper geared option which is good SS MTB should be quality, why not we deserve it)