Old 09-20-22, 09:04 AM
pingpong91

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Does this mean that the upper pivot spring is not consistently pulling the derailleur body back? This can be caused by a broken or disengaged upper pivot spring, but I would expect the problem to manifest in all gears, not just some. Can you remove the chain and assess how the upper pivot spring behaves on its own? If the spring does not pull the derailleur body back when the chain is removed, it is either broken or disengaged. The simplest fix is to replace the derailleur. If the spring works, but the pivot binds in some places, it may just need a thorough cleaning and lubrication.
Exactly what it is, it does happen in a lot of gears but really noticeable in highest ring. I took it to a local shop prior to speaking to this guy who showed me what you've explained. they attempted a clean and lubrication and got it playing a little better but still not perfect. They suggested a new RD and whilst I was at it perhaps consider moving to Tiagra GS (minus the breaks) as in their opinion a new Tiagra gearing system would be more proficient than my old 5600 105.. as i am not an expert i really have to take their advice as true. however i spoke to this other independant guy who said he doesn't see why the 5701 wouldn't work, i wouldn't get the extra range from the new 10 speed crankset i was looking at but it's obviously cheaper to change one part than loads of it and his 2 pence was that you're still downgrading from 105 to tiagra whatever the year so his suggestion would be replace the RD with the 105 RD.. thoughts?