galyons
the dream shall never die

Bikes: Cannondale RT3000 Tandem Cannondale R900 CAAD 8 Campy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Refurbing a 2002 Cannondale RT3000

Tandem newbie, just now jumping in! I recently purchased a 2002 Cannondale RT3000 tandem and have started the process of refurbing the bike. Structurally the frame, brakes, (cantilever front and back, drum on rear), and drivetrain are in very good shape with the exception of the chains, They are past due for changing. Fortunately it does not appear that the worn chains have taken a toll on the chainrings or the cassette.

The drive train is a combo of Shimano Ultegra and Deore XT. I have on order SRAM 971 for the drive and SRAM 850 for the timing. I have never used SRAM chains before, nor have I used "power links" for joining chains. I have heard good things about the SRAM chains and the ease of joining with the powerlinks. On my Cannondale road bikes I never had a chain break on a ride and replaced chains when the wear indicator said it was time. But I have helped folks repair chains on rides and reinserted pins to facilitate getting the bike going again. Never heard of anyone having problems with the chains afterward. But honestly, the last roadside surgery was over 10 years ago.

That being said, I would like to join the two 850 chain by reusing the pin removed to size the chains and then, join the sized chain with the power link. I did some online searching, but really nothing came up regarding the timing chains on a tandem. I would appreciate getting feedback, especially anyone who has used the SRAM chains.

I am excited about getting the tandem back on the road!!

Cheers,
Geary