View Single Post
Old 05-14-22, 11:41 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
SRam Hydro brakes…

After a winter of mud, i noticed that the rival brake lever were getting closer to the handle bar. The squeeze increased as the pads wore out.
I aware that the reach is adjustable but the issue more the added degree of rotation.

Although I do most servicing/repair/upgrade myself, i took the bike to a pro shop for the yearly inspections (bb swap, wheel check, fluid bleed). The bike shop said the brakes were fine and it is just a result of the wear and tear.

so to get the brake feel back as I like it, new pads seemed to be the answer but was it?
the pads lost 0.15mm per side (2.05mm material left), discs are 0.05mm worn (0.2mm above minimal thickness).

So I took my filler blade and found there was just above 0.13mm clearance between pads and disc on either side.
pick up a can of coke (best and cheapest 0.1mm shim material) and cut some pads back shims (pad backing plate contour) as fitted a shim on either side.
results is good; brake feel is back to how I like it…
cost: not much