View Single Post
Old 10-04-22, 01:40 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
almost hit a kid w/ my car, head-on the other night. he was riding the wrong way, at night, in the rain wearing dark colors, no lights. it would have been safer riding w/ traffic, with reflective clothing, w/ lights. the theory of if they can't see, they can't hit me is a theory I don't subscribe to. I often remember the times I saw a kid get hit by a car because the driver didn't see him approaching because the drivers line of sight was blocked by other cars & the time I was hit by a car for the same reason. and when ppl hit bikers, including a recent story about a police officer, they almost always use the excuse "I didn't see them"

even riding a bike at night, with lights we open ourself up to hitting objects or roadway defects that would otherwise be visible in daylight

I have enjoyed off-roading in a truck/suv, w/o headlights on, at night, under a full moon, on the beach, but that's because the moon light was so bright
And yet, the people that race in cities at night, and people who deliver on bikes at night rarely use lights. As far as "things you can do to avoid being hit by a car at night" making yourself visible isn't nearly as high on the list as some people think it is. Stuff like not being distracted is much more important