View Single Post
Old 01-23-23, 09:09 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
I stopped drinking 8 years ago at the age of 55.

​​​​​​At the highest daily consumption level I was up to 2 IPAs per day.

It occurred to me that drinking in my mountain biking culture was normal. People would talk about what beer they would have and how good it would be during a ride. The rides almost became an excuse to drink even as the rides became shorter and started later and later.

A pattern emerged which I couldn't ignore.

​​​​​​Bike races became beer centric and it seemed the inflating entry fees were offset by the beer being served.

In the years leading up to me quitting drinking altogether I became involved in mountain bike culture as a trail builder and advocate on a volunteer level. I was very involved. I even sought free beer for events and was successful.

It dawned upon even through my thick skull that serving beer and food to people after a hard day of trail work or riding and sending them home driving was not good.

In years before that I used to drink a beer or two and drive home afterwards as well.

Luckily I never had a DUI or cause harm, but I realized that was irresponsible. I stopped drinking after rides at a trailhead when I learned that it was illegal for me. That was around 2007.

Some riders I know post photos of the beers they drink after a ride.

I do not drink anymore for a lot of reasons.
​​​​​​
Likes For Sorcerer: