Old 04-06-23, 05:32 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
Currently just shy of four miles, uphill both ways. One thing that did change is my employer got a little more bike friendly and has a spot out of the weather to lock bikes up.
You forgot "and headwind both ways." That's great to hear your employer's doing a little better. The bike racks at my current employer were, ummm, "inadequate," so the few of us biking would just take our bikes up the elevators in the 14 story building and park outside our cubes. No complaints from any co-workers and it actually inspired some to stop in and ask about it and ACTUALLY START BIKING TO WORK. Then one day someone from some security office tracked me down: "No bikes allowed in the building. They're a fire hazard!!!" (In short, they weren't. I start getting steamed thinking about it and that was like 15 years ago.)

I vented to my manager in an email and laid out all my thoughts. Don't you suppose that within a week, a corporate email was sent out that ten bike lockers had been ordered and would be installed on the patio right outside the rear entrance. My manager had forwarded my email and it went up the chain to a VP... The lockers were actually a much better logistic for us than hauling our bikes up the elevator when everyone was trying to use them, etc. And a few years later, another ten had to be ordered.

And now post-covid, they sit empty out on that patio...
Likes For MNBikeCommuter: