View Single Post
Old 05-15-21, 07:13 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Back in 2014 I picked up a pair of wheels ($50) that were sitting in the basement of the seller for 15 years after having been built for him to race on. He never used them.

They are Chorus hubed with the rear for a freewheel. The rims are Omega Strada Hardox V. The intent was to use them on the Pinarello Monetllo. The issue was that it was 740x DA drive train. So over time Campagnolo parts replaced the DA with the exception of the wheels. A BF'r sold me the spacers for the DA block and the conversion was nearly complete. I've been running it that way for quite awhile with Ergos that need to be serviced but work great.
In about 2018 a Record rear hub was found for a good price ($30). The spoke length was a direct replacement so the hub was switched.
In about 2012 or so a coworker sold me a SpinDoctor truing stand for a reasonable charge ($25). I've been using it but with this wheel, I have had difficulty finding the center of the wheel! Lasts week a dishing tool was delivered. Yeah a DIY one could have been built but .....

If you have seen pictures of my garage, that wheel has been in the truing stand for about 2 years! Some where along the line an 8V block was purchased new and mounted on the hub. Not Record but Campagnolo lower level. Hey it is Chorus on the bike!

Today I finally trued the wheel to center! I found the the indicator block on the stand is able to move laterally as you rotate between using the centering indicator and the lateral indicator. That was the problem with the center wandering!

Great feeling of closure. Now I need to order a set of tubulars! Vittoria G+ of some model. Probably 23 because the bike might not fit 25's.

Gotta have a pic, right? Rear wheel as plurchaced. Haven't taken one with as is.
Omega Strada Hardox V Chorus Rear 32_04-32H on Flickr