View Single Post
Old 03-21-19, 12:42 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Helmet promotion through scare mongering probably has negatively affected acceptance of cycling as a desirable and healthy activity in the U.S. (especially for youth) and several other English speaking countries for the last 20+ years.
We can only hope the change isn't permanent.
I'm not optimistic -- I've noticed a similar dynamic in the other sports I do as well as in other areas of life.

Increasingly, safety is thought of in terms of systems and procedures with the individual viewed as a hapless victim. If something happens to someone doing what they're "supposed" to, someone else must own it. There is severe resistance to examining what the individual could do to improve outcomes in situations where things aren't as they should be.

Portland is hilarious. We're supposed to be some kind of cycling Mecca, but those who present themselves as the face of cycling and get their voices heard on the news and in lawmaking chambers paint a picture of cycling as a super dangerous and scary activity. They also present riding in rain, cold, heat, darkness, wind, or up any incline as badass. Yeah, that will attract people to cycling in droves.