mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
Are you looking for the shortest practical route? Best scenery? Most pleasant riding? So many options. For Dover to Trenton, for example, you might want to consider going a bit out of the way by going south to Lewes, crossing to cape May on the ferry and going through somewhat rural southern NJ rather than riding the I-95 corridor from Wilmington through Philadelphia. But Wilmington/Philly is the shortest route
A bit of a blend. When I came up the Atlantic Coast, I took the ferry to Cape May and that worked well. I then ended up via Newark and the Hoboken ferry into NYC before via Queens, Long Island and the ferry across to New London. Dover to Trenton via Cape May isn't too far out of range to completely rule it out. Here is my general sense of preferences:

- shortest practical route -> shorter is better but not only consideration
- best scenery -> not a big factor
- most pleasant riding -> I would describe this as having a "hygiene factor". I've crossed some busy metros on narrow highways without much in way of shoulders (US 1 into Miami) and while I can do it - this gets old and frustrating after an hour or two. However, moderately busy roads with mostly shoulders is fine. So more about avoiding the worst situations for extended periods than trying to find the quietest routes

It is also useful to anticipate alternatives since one instance of extended road construction can turn an otherwise OK route into something much more challenging. Also, depending on exactly where I am at - I might consider a more direct route on a Sunday when I expect less traffic than during a week day when I might be more wary of traveling inbound during morning commute hours or outbound during the afternoon.

Last edited by mev; 01-18-23 at 07:03 PM.