View Single Post
Old 01-25-23, 07:46 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
A few years back, I did a DC to Boston 5-day tour. Day 1 was DC (actually, Arlington, VA) to Annapolis. Some of that was on a bit too high auto traffic roads with minimal shoulders for my taste, but not terrible. Day 2 was Annapolis to Lewes, DE. A chunk of that seemed to be on major highway, which was a bummer since I was really looking forward to seeing Maryland’s Eastern Shore. To get over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, I used a taxi service. Day 3 started with the ferry to Cape May (the ferryman made sure I was the last to board and the last to disembark—very car-centric) then up to Absecon, NJ, just west of Atlantic City. Day 4 took some replanning as thunderstorms were threatening, so I ended up on highway 9 for most of the day up to Bay Head, where I caught a commuter train to NYC just as the skies opened up. From the city, I caught another train to New Haven, where I spent the night. Day 5 started with a train to New London, and then a really great route up the eastern edge of CT, into RI, and then a rail trail that runs across the state all the way to Providence. I then caught the commuter rail back to Boston and was home in time for dinner.