Old 09-03-15, 09:10 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
@mikewaters As someone that took the plunge after a lot of hemming and hawing, I understand.

Plus I understand the reluctance to shell out $40 for a race where you may not make more than a few laps, even if it's the principle of the thing, not the affordability. If I shell out $40 to race I'm not going to do stupid things that might get me shelled in 2 or 3 laps. $15? I've done stupid things and gotten shelled in 3-4 minutes, and I'm okay with that. If I get shelled in 2 laps of a $40 race, and it's happened, I try to roll it up into the overall weekend experience. So if we just drove 4 hours, I did 4 minutes of racing, and we drove 4 hours back, that's not great. If we do an overnight trip, do something before/after the race, then that $40 gets buried in the weekend's overall expenses and it doesn't seem so ridiculous.

Any way you can find a midweek training race? Sanctioned, preferably, entry might be $15-20. If you put a location in your profile that would help, someone may know the area. For example if you were in CT/MA/RI then a bunch of us would be telling you to make it to one of the three? midweek races in those three states. Entry is in that $15-20 range, and at least the one near me actually has neutralized start laps, some more experienced riders giving some advice, etc.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson