Old 12-03-20, 02:59 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Interesting, I never though flop would cause much concern on a short wheelbase recumbent.
I normally ride a Vision R40 or SatRDay as short wheelbase recumbents,
I guess I have experienced the "flop" in tight turns, but never thought about it as a significant issue.

I have been meaning to complete my titanium recumbent build for the last couple of years, but it's difficult to find a replacement fork for 1" steertube with disc brake mount.
I would like to go to a smaller front wheel than 700c, wouldn't mind a smaller rear wheel, too.
Flop isn't an issue when turning. In fact, flop actually makes the process of turning slightly easier as the bike is "wanting" to turn. Excessive flop is a problem because it promotes steering overshoot when trying to balance and go straight at low speeds.

Recumbents that use more conventional steering geometry can and do work OK. They just aren't ideal.

I love George Reynolds bikes. I have two of them - Wishbone Classic 26/20 and Wishbone RT 26/26. If you ever want to sell that T-bone of yours, let me know. George used steeper steering angles than just about anyone else. He was onto something. My two Wishbones both have steering angles at around 79 degrees. The Wishbone Classic has a negative rake fork and the RT has a zero rake fork. I know the Z-bone used a zero rake fork too. Not sure about the T-bone, though. The Zevo just takes the design approach George used on the Wishbones and Z-bone and extends it a bit further. George's Wishbones were a partial inspiration for the Zevo.