Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
While I’m not overly obsessed about bike weight, I do a lot of climbing and every kg costs approx 1 min per 1000m of typical alpine climbing. On a big ride I might do up to 4000 m of climbing, so that’s a 4 min loss. That’s not an issue if I’m riding alone, but if I’m in a group it could mean the difference between hanging on or getting dropped. Now if you compare a sub 7 kg bike against a 10 kg bike, then it starts to make a real difference on sustained climbs, especially if you are riding in a group.

To put it in context I can lose about 5-6 kg in weight if I really focus on my diet for several months and that’s when I make the biggest gains on hilly rides. My current bike weighs 8.8 kg with pedals, so I could potentially drop another 2 kg, which would give me less than half of the gain from losing weight. So a lightweight bike is more the icing on the cake and really only significant when doing a lot of climbing.
Just get an ebike. If you're going to spend money to improve your speed up hills, what does it matter how you spend it?
Likes For Sy Reene: