Thread: Stuck pedal
View Single Post
Old 01-17-22, 09:59 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I'd disassemble the pedal leaving only the spindle, put a few drops of DOT 3 brake fluid on the joint (keep it away from paint!), and get my 12" pipe wrench on the remains of the spindle. With the left crank arm forward, parallel to the ground, wrench handle facing to the rear, put on hand on the pedal and one hand on the wrench, and put all your weight on it.

If that doesn't work, pull the crank arm and drill it out. The good news is a regular right twist bit will help unthread it.
Followed your procedure, except for the brake fluid (not sure I have any), and after monumental effort, I got the damned thing to turn. Even then, it turned very grudgingly, and I was afraid that I'd stripped the threads on the crank. However, I kept turning, and sure enough, it was spinning out. Put the vise grips on it to spin it all the way out, and the crank is in good shape. I thank you.

...and I'm leaving the pipe wrench in my bike toolbox. Dang.