View Single Post
Old 05-30-22, 02:32 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I bought my last new bike in 2000 when I was 55. I was still riding strong for being 55. I bought a 5200 9 speed, 52-42-30 in front and 12-25 in back. I thought it was a perfect bike for me. Since I ride in terrain from moderately hilly to mountainous, top performance on very long climbs has been my goal, which means a narrow cadence range based around 80, which is what my legs have always liked best for climbing.

That was the last bike I bought because I couldn't see sufficient improvement in the drivetrain to make it worth the money. A few pounds didn't matter to me as I don't race and lose and gain bodyweight anyway, more than bike weights changed. For me, it's all about the frame (perfect match of BB stiffness and vertical compliance ) and gear-inches.

What happened in the marketplace is that the 9-speed triple was replaced by the 10-speed triple. Hardly anyone upgraded from the 9 because why? Adding 1 more cog in back made no financial sense with a triple, so they dropped the triples and went with compacts because they needed an upgrade path.

So let's have a little contest. Here's my factory 9-speed, circa 2000, age 55:
Bicycle Gear Calculator

As I aged, I went from 11-25 in back to 12-27, then to a 11-30, then to smaller rings, 53-36-26. So this is my 9-speed at 77:
https://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=...N=MPH&DV=teeth

I saved many thousands of dollars in continuing bike and gruppo upgrades and believe that I still have a better gearing range for who I am and what I do.

I should point out that in my current drivetrain I only have 16 distinct gear ratios which I use, out of 27, ranging from 125-23 g.i. My 4 lowest ratios, the ones I really care about, are only 3.5 g.i. apart.

Can anyone match those g.i. numbers and spacings with the latest and greatest road gruppo? Let's see it!
Of course you can't match 27 gears with 24 gears precisely. It's more a question of how big the market is for those requiring 27+ gears. All road bikes I've ever been interested in have always been exclusively 2x anyway (with the odd 1x appearing now). The nearest I could get to your setup would be a 33/46 front and 10/36 12-speed cassette. Doesn't quite match your overall range, but not far off and actually has closer spacing at the top end.

What I actually run is 35/48 and 10/33 which has a bit less range at the lower end, but closer spacing and same top gear as you have.

Last edited by PeteHski; 05-30-22 at 02:41 PM.