Old 11-11-22, 01:49 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I carry DripDrop for emergencies. It's formulated to WHO standards for emergency Oral Rehydration Solutions (ORS). It's nothing magical, just the optimal blend of salts and sugar to aid osmolarity. Check the DripDrop website for details.

The problem with salt is many folks can't absorb orally ingested water quickly enough to do any good. They tend to bloat and vomit up the water, and whatever was on their stomachs. Saw it often in military training, particularly long marches and uphill runs. And I've seen it on summer bike rides when folks used only salt, especially swallowing salt tablets without some form of sugar. I've given them a bottle with DripDrop and they recovered within 15 minutes.

But at a dollar or so per packet, it's kinda pricey, although in the same price range as NUUN and most major label electrolyte/energy drinks.

So I usually buy cheap stuff like Propel, Kroger no-name stuff, most of which is marketed as "sugar-free" which is *not* a good thing for preventing or relieving dehydration. So I add a bit of plain sugar to the bottle. That's what I drink during a bike ride or long run in hot weather. I'll carry the Mylar packets of DripDrop for emergencies to add to plain water.

Tests of ORS by the WHO and other organizations indicate the type of sugar doesn't really matter. Table sugar is fine. If you prefer fructose, glucose, honey, whatever you like or have on hand, us it.

And it doesn't take much sugar. I'd guesstimate maybe half a teaspoon per bottle. So little you'd hardly notice it's there. But it helps get the water where it's needed quicker.

You could mix your own from scratch. But it'll get clumpy and gooey after awhile in whatever makeshift packet you carry. Same problem with NUUN. I used to carry those plastic tubes of NUUN tablets, but after the tube has been opened the tablets quickly absorb humidity and get gooey and resist dissolved in water when you need 'em. Mylar packets of single serve electrolytes are better for carrying on the bike or in a jersey pocket, or left in the car.

These are all pretty much just updated versions of Roman posca and variations of farmer's punch, most of which had a bit of sugar either through diluted wine, vinegar or added honey, cane sugar, whatever sweetener was available during that era and climate. Through trial and error they figured out it worked quicker to quench thirst and relieve dehydration.

Last edited by canklecat; 11-11-22 at 01:52 AM.