View Single Post
Old 09-06-07, 04:53 AM
larryfeltonj

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do several sorts of cycling, and consequently I have several bikes.

I live in Atlanta, in the East Atlanta neighborhood, which is a bit over three miles from my workplace downtown. The commute is in urban conditions, with a great deal of close interaction with motorists. I usually ride my road bike (a 2003 Raleigh Supercourse) but lately I've been mixing in my Raleigh Twenty, and for rain I have an old Peugeot Iseran equipped with fenders.

I also do utility cycling. For the most part I choose whichever of my bikes makes the most sense for where I'm going. If it requires distance I just use my road bike (I have a pair of very large JANDD commuter panniers which are adequate for much of my shopping). Lately I've been using a Raleigh Shopper with a 3 spd SA hub as a short haul workhorse utility bike.

For sports/recreational use I usually use my road bike, and the places I cycle for recreation and sport vary enormously. Because I've been doing centuries lately a lot of the overall miles I put on my bike tend to be in quasi-rural south metro Atlanta (Fayette, Coweta, South Fulton, and Heard counties are good areas for uninterrupted long distance miles on old county roads). But I also do group rides and recreational solo rides, mostly in the city or the Decatur area. I don't use MUPs much unless they're connected to a good park system, but I do go to the Silver Comet trail from time to time (it's connected to a number of interesting local parks, including one with the ruins of a small mill). A few of us on BF have an informal folding bikes group, and our first gathering was on the Silver Comet (and our second one is planned for there too).