View Single Post
Old 07-14-15, 09:29 AM
bas2205

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Don't know if there would be any interest in this type of mount. I redesigned the Garmin Edge mount I was using so that it is only an eighth-turn instead of quarter-turn. As a result I ended up being able to put two sets of stops 90° offset. This allows an Edge as well as a Forerunner or Fenix to use the exact same mount without moving and/or unscrewing anything. Then I put it in a Time Trial Bar Extension type of mount. The Garmin will sit even with the extension. As an added feature I put a Virb mount under it. You can have both a Garmin cyclo-computer or sportwatch as well as a Garmin Virb action cam all on the same mount. The Virb will sit below the extensions. It should fit any alloy/carbon extensions that are in the range of 20-22 mm in diameter.

Only a couple of items are required. An M4 x 15 mm socket head cap screw, an M4 nylon insert lock nut, a genuine Garmin Virb mount insert and locking ring.

Here is a render of the mount.

This same mount could be made with a built in GoPro mount also.
I am interested in this type of mount. However, I am worried about the weight of the Edge+Virb being too heavy and rotating the mount. Are you up for tinkering with the design a bit?

If so, I have three ideas:

1. Angle the mounting surface back 30 degrees?. The Virb can still be aimed at the horizon using the thumb-screw. Since the Edge computer now sits further forward, it should point towards the rider's head instead of straight up.

2. Instead of using M4 bolts, what do you think about using zip-ties? I have some standard 75lbs ones and some beefy 150lbs ones at home, I will measure the cross-sections later. I got the idea for this from the Racebone on Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/C84MQ54UB/racebone-garmin-handlebar-mount?li=related-items-solr&optionId=42451391

3. For some extra stability, what about mounting to both aerobars? If Shapeways allows, this could be a parameter (I will have to measure the distance between my bars inside-to-inside). I got the idea from the 3T computer bridge: COMPUTER MOUNT BRIDGE - Accessories - 3T Cycling Road