View Single Post
Old 08-28-16, 04:38 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
The left chainstay; your military left, as they used to say in Basic Training. Photo below shows the coaster brake arm on the left side of the hub that is held to the left chainstay by a CB strap that wraps around the stay. Your pic shows the gear cable and indicator chain on the right side that does indeed work the shifting.

I personally don't like coaster brakes but they work. Absolutely no need to add a rear handbrake if your CB works and you are happy with it. Good price for the bike. They usually go for about twice that, or more.

Yes!! I do have the coaster brake, you are correct, I just tried it out. Had no idea these had coaster brakes on some models. Yes, After watching the prices the past few days on Craigslist I was seeing other people post similar bikes in really bad shape, extremely rusty and beat up for about $180-$275 so I was keeping fingers crossed the lady I bought it from would not change her mind before we showed up.

Originally Posted by BigChief
Nice bike! I always liked this silver color.
It would be simple to add a rear hand brake to this bike if you're more used to riding that way. I am. Then, you'd have 3 brakes.
We just might add the rear brakes if it doesn't cost too much, which I don't think it will. The rear coaster brake actually works, I just checked it out. Pretty cool though.