Old 09-29-19, 08:05 PM
hiknmik3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made an account to chime in on the issue of headset bearings in future shock equiped bikes. I have a 18 diverge comp and was surprised at both the short life and the difficulty sourcing the bearings. My first set were shot after a few months and I had a heck of time getting replacements.

Regarding the short life, I think a combination of riding in the rain and how I washed the bike caused the first set to rust quickly. Water runs down under the top cap and there is nothing to stop it. I now hand wash the top tube and am careful to keep water away from the top cap area. My second set has lasted over a year. I just took it apart tonight and there was a little rust on the outside of the bottom bearing but with a little grease it was as good as new. Oh and I grease the bearings thoroughly during reassembly to try to keep the water out.

Regarding sourcing, I just hate getting parts from specialized. I emailed rider care with my serial number and they initially couldn't provide a part number. When pressed I got a different number for the top and bottom (they are identical). When I pressed yet again I was provided the part number. I then drove to the dealer with the part number and a photo of the bearing from my bike showing the size marking. They required I bring the bike in so they could take it apart before ordering it to "make sure we order the right part". They eventually were able to get the part.

One final thought, I carefully disassembled my old ones by following a youtube video of taking apart a sealed bearing. One is now as good as new and the other is a serviceable spare.