MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
As a Navy Hospital Corpsman working in hospitals, I've heard moms and grandmothers say things post-op under the influence of anesthesia, or after a stroke or head injury, that would make a sailor blush.

I've had only two surgeries under full anesthesia, and was sorta anesthetized for an esophageal exam, and my biggest fear was what I might say under the influence of anesthesia. If I did say anything, nobody let on, so I'm hoping I was well behaved or, preferably, mute.

I do seem to recall during the esophageal exam a nurse saying something like "Relax, honey, don't gag, it'll go in much easier." That was *not* reassuring.
Ugh! That’s awful.

This surgery happened to be at the old Walter Reed before it merged with the National Naval Medical Center. The Navy’s offering in the neck fixing department was decidedly unattractive, but that’s another story.

The WRAMC slogan at the time, in the bloody aftermath of OEF/OIF, was “The Home of Warrior Care.” While waiting for the OR, I kept thinking, “Is this the Home of Worrier Care, ‘cause I’m sure worried!” but I think my wife kept me from saying it out loud. I might have made witticisms along those lines or said something about “moving all five,” in the anesthetic twilight.
Likes For MoAlpha: