View Single Post
Old 01-15-21, 12:45 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Depends. Do you already have a road bike or something else? Are you comfortable riding one for the route you'd need to take? How will it be stored at your workplace? What weather conditions will you ride in?

If you'll be mixing with traffic and pedestrians, where you could benefit from a more heads-up riding posture, then some flat bar bike could be better. If you'll be mostly unimpeded then a road bike would be fine or even preferred if you like going fast.

If you have a road bike set up more for longer rides, say with minimal commuter niceties like fenders, rack/pannier/pack system to carry your stuff (granted a backpack won't be horrible for 15 min), or you have road clipless pedals and expect you'll need to unclip a lot in stop and start traffic, then a dedicated commuter (could still be a drop bar road bike) would be better. Same thing if you have one built for nice smooth roads with narrow tire clearance but your commute is bumpy, then you could be better off repurposing a cushier bike that can take wider tires like a CX, gravel, touring, hybrid, or MTB.

Then of course there are dedicated commuter bikes that aren't great for recreational riding but sturdier and more weatherproof, with say dynamo lights, chain guard or belt drive and internal gearing. There's less to fuss over about those from a maintenance perspective.

Personally, all my road bikes are setup for fast, longer distance riding (my commute pre-WFH was 16 miles one way), so I wouldn't ride them as-is for shorter trips. Though if I wanted to, I would only need a few steps to make it work: swap out my powermeter pedals for some one-sided SPD pedals, mount a u-lock, and change out the saddle bag for a larger seatpack.

If I had to lock it up outside though, I would have second thoughts for sure, because my road bikes are nice and thieves know it.
Likes For surak: