Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
...and...

OK, serial number is in Post #1. What do "official records", etc., say about the date of manufacture? I checked with the son, and am told no way the father bought it that early, so, either (a) he bought an extremely well cared for -- and modified -- used bike, or (b) somehow this was years-old leftover inventory (uh, during the Bike Boom Years, really?) and the Campy upgrades were part of an arrangement to move it along to a first owner. No idea. I did know both of them from September 1971, I doubt I would have overlooked this bike. Regardless, it is what it is. Perhaps my friend will find a dated photo, he says he has a huge bin of family photos to sort.

Good to know. Again, I have not ridden on gravel roads here and do not know the coarseness of the surfaces. Indeed, scratch any surface in MD and you are more likely to find hard red clay, Maryland is basically on big brick excepting the shorelines. Hmm, might try w/out fenders and add later, or try them with the understanding I might be removing them trailside.
Kurt Kaminer (one of our community) has pulled together a relatively extensive compilation of catalogs and serial number information. https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_catdata.html

I am quite aware that Raleigh did a lot of scrambling to keep up with demand all through the 1970's. My uncle was one of the larger Raleigh dealers in the eastern US through that period, and I can't tell you how many times he had his orders changed or received things that were different from specs (it was relatively common). This said, they did get quite consistent about making all their 531 models in Worksop by 1977 (the Super Course and Grand Sports were the last models to fully transition), and those serials would all be on the bottom bracket and either follow the pre-1974 A#### serial convention, or the 1974 and later WA###### serial convention. Also, as looking through the catalogs depicts, 1973 and 1974 Grand Sports with rear dropouts that have derailleur hangers. Given what was going on in the supply chain, this doesn't prove the date, but it suggests the earlier date range to me.

1971 -1973 were evidently tumultuous times. I have a lilac Competition that was made with stamped Zeus dropouts that I think was made in Nottingham, rather than Worksop. I also have a Grand Sports with stamped dropouts that has no discernable serial number on the frame anywhere. I think it's one of the 1973's that gugie likes to refer to.

p.s. If you ever decide to attempt the C&O canal with it, 35's and mudguards would be the way to go, imo.,, at least west of Point of Rocks.

Last edited by USAZorro; 08-24-22 at 02:30 PM.