tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
Wow! You've done all the tedious stuff.
Thanks -- but I wish all the tedious stuff was done! I've decided not to machine-polish all of the parts to a mirror shine on this bike, but once cleaned up I'd like the existing finish to hold up. Someone on this forum mentioned Wolfgang Metal Sealant, and I have a bottle. So each little part (or big part) gets wiped down and once dry, buffed. Hopefully the parts will stay nice even if I ride on an unpaved trail (I'm really outside my comfort zone on that), and simply hose the bike down afterward, etc. Wheels, outside of removing the axles/bearings and cleaning those, are untouched and I need a vessel big enough to set them in while cleaning -- too cold outdoors to work comfortably. Anyways, four hours so far today on the Wolfgang sealant and the hands getting tired but I am planning now to Blue Magic the chrome on forks and stays.

Yeah, after all that, reassembly should be a lot more rewarding. Ugh, the Milremo handlebar plugs look rough enough that I should replace them, but on a minor part like that it would not bother me to use something else; last time I looked the Velox rubber plugs not available anywhere.

And I am waiting for some companies selling parts have a mid-winter sale, I need stuff for this an a couple other bikes I hope to finish up.