View Single Post
Old 01-28-23, 07:37 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Tilt of saddle = fit. Using a chamois is a way of mitigating an issue, but what caused the issue? The OP also complained of soft tissue pain, usually caused by fit, too high seat height, too much reach or too much drop, or a combination.

It's not me saying this, good fitters say this. You can mitigate the issue with various band aid approaches, but it is always better to fix the underlying problem. Look at fit first, then look at other things. I can ride 50-70 miles a day with no chamois, no padded shorts, and do it day after day on tour, and I do, but I could not until I addressed the fit issue. My seat was too high. I tried all sorts of shorts and ointments, but nothing worked until I got the seat down where it should be. Too many people come out of a "bike fit," with a seat that is too high for their individual fitness level, and flexibility, and often too much drop and reach. They have soft tissue pain, and get saddle sores.

Interestingly, once I got my seat height correct for me, I no longer have to tilt it up to remain planted on the rear of the seat, I just stay there naturally. I'm running a Brooks too.

If the OP only had chafing, I would be all for suggesting some sort of product, but since they also experience soft tissue pain, I lean towards a fit issue.
This is one of my experienes as well. How do you set your saddle height? What do you think of the heel-on-pedal technique?